The months of pregnancy are associated with a lot of hormonal ups and downs in your body. This causes a lot of external and internal reactions.
While the internal reactions may range from hunger pangs and frequent and unexpected mood swings, one of the external manifestations of this hormonal imbalance is acne. Acne is a very common skin problem during and as a result of pregnancy. Here is a post that will give you a complete knowledge on what acne medications are safe during pregnancy and what not.
Why Acne Occurs During Pregnancy?
Acne during pregnancy is caused by hormonal imbalances that you experience due to your pregnancy. The problem will subside once your hormones are back to their normal levels.
Acne in the weeks of your pregnancy is, therefore, not too worrisome, apart from the fact that it may mark your appearance. This can be dealt easily by some simple home remedies that are natural and safe.
While you are pregnant, you need to be very careful about the med
Acne Medication During Pregnancy – What Are To Be Avoided?
If you are using acne medication during pregnancy then there are a number of acne treating medicines that you should steer clear of. Some of them are listed below:
Though effective for treating acne during non-pregnancy, Accutane is known to cause birth defects in children, if used regularly during pregnancy.
[ Read: Accutane And Pregnancy ]
2. Hormonal Therapy Drugs:
Medicines like Flutamide and Spironolactone should be avoided during the pregnancy months as they increase the chance of birth defect in babies.
3. Topical Retinoids:
Drugs like Adapalene and Tretinoin permeate the layers of the skin and enter the bloodstream, coming in direct contact with your developing baby.
4. Salicylic Acid:
Salicylic acid is a great cure for acne. However, when taken in the oral form during pregnancy, it is known to lead to major birth defects and complications.
While you are pregnant, it is best to stay away from these medicines.
Treating Acne Without Medication:
You can easily deal with your acne by improving your lifestyle and food habits during your pregnancy:
- Eating food that is rich in anti-oxidants helps cleanse your skin and keeps it clear and fresh.
- Include lots of fresh green vegetables, berries and fish in your diet so as to get all the right amount of nutrients into your system. This would help to keep your hormones in check, meaning lesser acne!
- Take good care of your skin. Wash the acne prone areas with warm water using a mild cleanser twice a day.
- Keeping your hair clean is also important as dirty hair may lead to dirt accumulating on your face pores and clogging them, leading to acne breakouts. Shampoo regularly!
- Maintain a clean dirt free environment. It not only helps with the acne situation, but also promotes a healthy environment for you and your baby.
[ Read: Fruits To Eat During Pregnancy ]
Safe Drugs For Treating Acne During Pregnancy:
Treating acne medically, should essentially involve consulting your doctor and getting a prescription for the drugs that you can use. As this is a matter of you and your growing baby’s health.
There are drugs like those containing erythromycin, azelaic acid and clindamycin that are generally prescribed for use during pregnancy to treat acne. Most of these medicines are for external use and need to be applied to the skin. They are considered safe to be used.
[ Read: Skin Allergy During Pregnancy ]
It should be kept in mind that everybody has a different physiology and different reactions to drugs. Be cautious while using anything during your pregnancy. Always consult your doctor and enjoy a safe and happy pregnancy.
We would love to hear your opinions and ideas on the matter. Please write to us and share your experiences too!
Reference : 1 , 2
- Which Medications Are Safe During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Use Homeopathic Medicines During Pregnancy?
- 6 Harmful Birth Defects Caused By Accutane Intake During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Take Migraine Medication During Pregnancy?