Congratulations on your pregnancy! Now you must be careful about what you eat, because you are not just eating for yourself, but for the other life growing inside you as well.
For all the months of pregnancy, and later, when you feed your little one, you need to choose your foods right and make sure you incorporate them in the right doses in your diet.
How Safe Are Chickpeas During Pregnancy?
Chickpeas are considered one of the best foods during pregnancy, as both you and your baby get the right nutrients to enjoy a healthy pregnancy.
Try and limit the intake of junk foods and take healthy foods like chickpeas also known as garbanzo beans. You can add chickpeas in many dishes like pasta, hummus, salads and soups.
Research Analysis Of Effects Of Eating Chickpeas During Pregnancy:
Several researches have been conducted over the years to understand the nutritional benefits of chickpeas during pregnancy. Here is what the research studies say:
- Pregnancy is a time when you tend to
- Chickpeas reduce risks of heart attack. Legumes and other chickpeas are a good choice for heart as well as the waistline.
- Chickpeas offer a boost to your energy levels during pregnancy.
- Your nutritional requirements increase during pregnancy as you are eating not for yourself anymore. Your body requires higher amounts of protein, vitamins, minerals and fiber. A cup of chickpeas contains 12gm of dietary fiber and 15 grams protein.
- It is a rich source of iron and vitamin B6 that is highly essential for the growing fetus.
- Chickpeas also contain choline that is essential for brain and nerve developments.
- A cup of chickpeas contains 65% of your daily manganese requirement during pregnancy. Manganese is very essential to meet the growing needs of the unborn baby. Manganese aids skeletal development in babies.
- Copper, zinc and selenium are some of the minerals that are often neglected in discussions on nutrition. These are natural antioxidants that play crucial role in ensuring safety of your baby and protects her from damages caused by free radicals. Antioxidants help prevent several diseases and play a major role in healthy pregnancies.
[ Read: Soybeans During Pregnancy ]
Chickpeas Cooking Tips:
Cooked chickpeas are really easy. Following simple steps stated below will help you prepare the dishes in a few minutes:
- Soak chickpeas overnight.
- The chickpeas soaked overnight will get soft. Boil them for 30 minutes.
- You don’t need to cook them at all if you are using canned ones. These are ready to eat and can be directly added to salads, curry and stew. Fresh ones are recommended, though.
- Chickpeas are popular in different parts of the world and particularly famous with the hummus.
- You can make hummus in a food processor. It can be a great dip for raw veggies, strips and pepper.
- You can also simmer the chickpeas till they get tender and toast them with cumin seeds and garlic. You will simply love the taste.
- Irrespective of how you like to eat them, chickpeas can be a great addition to your pregnancy diet.
[ Read: Sesame Seeds Safe During Pregnancy ]
Since it is not only about you, but also the life developing inside you, make sure to consult with your health care provider before adding them to your diet. Discussion with your physician will help you get a better understanding about the benefits and probable risk factors associated with taking chickpeas daily.
If you are trying to incorporate variety in your daily diet, do not feel guilty to add chickpeas at times and make dinner a fun time for you and your unborn child. You will surely not have to give up all legumes as you are pregnant! Have fun and enjoy delicious dishes all through the day!
- Is It Safe To Consume Sesame Seeds During Pregnancy?
- 11 Health Benefits Of Barley During Pregnancy
- 7 Health Benefits Of Eating Kidney Beans During Pregnancy
- 5 Health Benefits Of Sweet Potato During Pregnancy