It can indeed be very confusing during pregnancy, when you are supposed to know about what you should eat and what you should stay away from.
Dairy products like yogurt are considered healthy additions in your diet. As long as you have checked the manufacturing dates, it is safe to take pasteurized dairy products like yogurts and milks. You must not confuse between the probiotic bacteria (the good one!) in yogurt and listeria bacteria (the bad one!).
While you are pregnant, your snacking options get reduced at this time and you need to rely on the healthy alternatives only. Addressing your cravings with a spoonful of yogurt is indeed a healthy option that your little bundle of joy will love. Not only will you keep feeling full for long, but also benefit from the probiotics it contains.
A Closer Look At Yogurt:
Since it is always good to be well informed, know what yogurt is:
- It is a fermented product containing Lactobacillus acidophilus – a kind of non-harmful bacteria.
- This bacterium helps in digestion of milk. It particularly digests lactose that adds energy to your body.
- Since feelings of weakness and lethargy are common at this time, you will love the energy boost you get.
- This bacterium in yoghurt mixes with lactic acid and reacts with the milk to give a creamy texture and a sour taste.
[ Read: Which Milk Is Good For Pregnant Women ]
Health Benefits Of Yogurt During Pregnancy:
There are numerous health benefits of eating yogurt during pregnancy that makes it perfect addition for your diet. Here are the nutrients you find in this creamy textured diary product:
- Yogurt being a diary product has all the nutrients that you find in milk.
- It is rich in calcium that aids development of bones and teeth in the little life developing inside you.
- Yogurt is rich in protein that helps in development of new cells.
- This vitamin rich diary product takes care of most of your vitamin needs in pregnancy.
- Regular consumption of yogurt is known to reduce chances of preeclampsia that is characterized by increased blood pressure and high level of protein discharge in urine.
[ Read: Soy Milk During Pregnancy ]
Additionally you may experience swelling of hands, feet. Some of the common symptoms of pre-eclampsia are:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Blood discharge in urine
- Pain in abdomen
- Loss of weight
Study conducted on 33,000 Norwegian women found that risks of preeclampsia reduce with intake of yogurt on a daily basis.
[ Read: Vomiting During Pregnancy ]
Probiotic Yogurt During Pregnancy:
Yogurt contains probiotic, which causes no harm to you. Let us take a closer look at the probiotics:
- The probiotics cannot cause infection.
- The bacteria aid digestion, which is why these are often termed as probiotics.
- Your ability to digest reduces in pregnancy, says Murkoff and Mazel, which actually increases your risk of constipation. Constipation for long leads to hemorrhoids. Yogurts help you to digest easily and keep the bowel movements regular.
[ Read: Peanuts During Pregnancy ]
- Yoghurt is definitely a healthy addition in your diet. However, there are some considerations that you must be careful of:
- Yoghurt is a non-fat dairy product that supplies you your regular dose of minerals and vitamins.
- If you do not want to put up unnecessary weight in pregnancy, avoid yoghurt with too much of added sugar or syrup.
In case you are bored with the taste of plain yoghurt, you can add some fruit or honey and enjoy the new flavor.
Eating a healthy diet means altering the amounts of food you take rather than cutting down all your favorites. So be careful and enjoy a relaxed and healthy pregnancy. Welcome to the wonderful journey called motherhood!
Moms do share what you munched on the most during those days!
Reference : 1
- 4 Amazing Benefits Of Honey For Pregnant Women
- 4 Nutritional Benefits Of Ice Cream During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Drink Soy Milk During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Tofu During Pregnancy?