Are you expecting? If you are, then you should be extra careful about your health.
It is natural that when you are pregnant, you will have doubts as you want nothing but the best for the little life developing inside you.
When it comes to the diet including flax seeds during pregnancy, many of you may have questions. are flax seeds safe during pregnancy? You must have complete knowledge about the benefits, probable risks and recommended doses for flax seeds in pregnancy. It is said that consumption of flax seeds is not very safe during pregnancy but lack of proper evidence makes it even more essential for you to check with your doctor.
Health Benefits Of Eating Flax Seeds During Pregnancy:
Flax seeds contain some of the vital nutrients that you need in pregnancy. Here are some of the benefits of having them when you are pregnant:
- Flax seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and fiber that your body needs during pregnancy.
- The laxative properties of flax seeds help keep co
- The American Nutrition Association stated that apart from an excellent source of two essential fatty acids for human health – linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid, flax seeds are also a good source of fiber, minerals and vitamins.
- Hot flushes are common in pregnancy. You can reduce the episodes of hot flushes to a great extent by consumption of flax seeds.
- Increase in blood sugar level during pregnancy can give rise to undesirable effects. You can keep the blood sugar levels down by taking flax seeds.
Experiments carried on animals have shown negative effects of flaxseeds, even though sufficient studies about its effect on pregnancy have not been carried out so far. Flaxseed oil is not regulated strictly by the US Food and Drug Administration, thus you need to talk to your doctor if you can safely consume it in your pregnancy.
[ Read: Sunflower Seeds During Pregnancy ]
Effects On Hormones:
Flaxseeds are often considered highly dangerous in early stages of pregnancy. Here is the effect of flaxseeds on hormone:
- The seeds are known to act as estrogen and stimulate contractions and menstruation.
- This makes it highly dangerous during your initial stages of pregnancy.
- Some studies recommend staying away from these seeds completely as these tend to harm the human fetus.
Flaxseeds And Their Sources:
Flaxseeds are used in plenty of food products specially the baked ones. Below are mentioned some of the food sources:
Let your doctor decide if you can have these products containing flaxseeds. If you have the habit of eating them regularly before you were pregnant, have a word with him.
[ Read: Sesame Seeds During Pregnancy ]
Side Effects Of Flax Seeds During Pregnancy:
If you are taking flaxseeds during pregnancy, below are mentioned some of the side effects that you might encounter. Take a look:
- Feelings of nausea, diarrhea and gas are some of the side effects of consumption of the seeds.
- Allergic reactions such as swelling of lips, tightness in chest or breathing problems.
- You can see a sudden increase in your blood pressure level with consumption of unripe or raw flaxseeds.
- Flaxseeds contain toxic chemical called cyanide that can lead to poisoning.
- Even if you are taking flaxseeds in pregnancy, make sure they are not unripe or raw.
[ Read: Diarrhea In Pregnancy ]
While there are plenty of things that might stress you out in pregnancy, eating should not be one. It is certainly true that the amount of advice you get from relatives, friends and family about what you should eat and what isn’t safe for you makes you feel overwhelmed.
Elizabeth Ward, RD, of Reading, Massachusetts has rightly said, “There are a lot of old wives’ tales out there.” Thus, check with your healthcare provider regarding your dietary restrictions and enjoy your peace of mind.
Mothers do share how you handled food cravings in pregnancy in the comment section below.
Reference : 1
- Is It Safe To Consume Fish Oil During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Evening Primrose Oil During Pregnancy?
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Eating Sunflower Seeds During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Consume Sesame Seeds During Pregnancy?