Have you been suggested to take probiotics in pregnancy? If yes, you may be wondering what good it can do to you and your baby. Probiotics supplements are available in the form of drinks, powders and capsules. You can also look for foods that contain natural probiotics. These are good bacteria that are similar to the naturally occurring live microorganisms in the human gut. These are also known as friendly bacteria.
5 Reasons Why You Need Probiotics During Pregnancy:
Before you start taking probiotics in pregnancy, it is better to be informed about the benefits you can expect from them:
1. Your Immune System Is Strengthened With Probiotics:
Around 70% to 80% of your immune system is in your gut. This includes the good work of the beneficial bacteria lining your intestine.
- In times of pregnancy, any illness that affects you, directly affects your baby as well. You can fight off your illnesses with a strong immune system. The more you can fight against your illnesses, the
- When you have a strong immune system to resist illnesses, you need fewer medications that travels through your placenta, that may be ingested by your baby as well.
[ Read: Indigestion During Pregnancy ]
2. Probiotics Help You In Proper Digestion:
In pregnancy, it is normal to suffer from heartburn, constipation and gas.
- Probiotics help in breaking down the fats, carbohydrates and proteins to reduce the bloated feeling, constipation and gas.
- Probiotics ensure faster bowel movement. Thus, there are fewer chances of you throwing up and the cases of chest burn also remain low.
3. Probiotics Help In Proper Absorption Of Nutrients:
As probiotics improve digestion, your body can efficiently absorb nutrients as well.
- Being well nourished yourself you get more energy during your special phase of life.
- Your baby eats whatever you eat, so when you are well nourished, your baby is pink too.
[ Read: Iron Tablets During Pregnancy ]
4. You Can Fight Against Infections During Pregnancy:
You are more prone to these diseases in pregnancy because of the changes brought about by your hormones. Urinary tract infections and vaginal infections can be easily dealt with probiotics.
- Yeast infections are common in pregnancy and can harm your baby as well. It can also cause you a lot of discomfort. Chances of bacterial infection increase with risks of premature delivery.
- You need to take antibiotics in case of any types of infections. This may reduce your supply of beneficial bacteria and you may be prone to repeated infections as well.
- You can fight off the infections with probiotics. This will also help in repopulating your beneficial bacteria that will fight against infections better in the future.
[ Read: Bacterial Infection During Pregnancy ]
5. Keep At Bay Postpartum Depressions With Probiotics:
Doctors suggest that relation between your brain and the gut is highly essential.
- Experts suggest that taking probiotics alter neurotransmitters in gut boosts up the ability to deal with depressions and anxieties.
- It is highly essential that you as well as your baby take probiotics postpartum.
- In case you are in doubt, you can seek advice from your doctor about its effect on you as well as your unborn baby.
[ Read: Folic Acid Before Pregnancy ]
Where Can You Get Probiotics?
You can find probiotics in fermented products. Let’s take a detailed look at the major sources of probiotics:
- Fermented milk drink
- Sour cream
- Soy beverages
If the information seems convincing, do make an attempt to change your diet. Pregnancy is the best time to get started with healthy eating habits. Your baby too deserves a healthy start. Choose probiotics, so that you both can be happy and healthy.
Moms share with us how did you start taking probiotics during pregnancy in your daily diet in the comment section below.
- 7 Serious Causes Of Bladder Infections During Pregnancy
- 8 Infections You Should Be Aware Of During Pregnancy
- Torch Infection During Pregnancy – 2 Causes, 5 Symptoms & 5 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- Kidney Infection During Pregnancy – 7 Causes & 2 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of