We live in the world of Internet. Working woman or the housewife, laptops and computers have become an indispensable part of their lives.
Pregnancy is an exciting affair only if you are not pondering over the effects of using your laptop or computer during this phase.
Is It Safe To Use Computer or Laptop During Pregnancy?
Yes, it is absolutely safe working on laptop during pregnancy. Various studies and research have shown that its usage is harmless to the mother and the unborn baby. Even wireless Internet is equally harmless.
A computer screen or a wireless Internet produces low levels of non-ionising electromagnetic radiations. This is the same kind of radiation that a television or radio emits. Such low level radiations would not pose a threat to a developing fetus.
[ Read : Mobile Phone During Pregnancy ]
Could A Computer Screen Cause Miscarriage And Birth Defects?
Absolutely not! As mentioned above, the electromagnetic energy radiated by these devices is as feeb
A research was carried out in the 1970s stated that constant exposure to a computer screen could lead to miscarriage, low birth weight and birth defects. But further studies and research have disproved this study. So there’s nothing to worry about!!
[ Read : Electric Blanket During Pregnancy ]
Make A Note:
Now that you are assured that computers and laptops during pregnancy are safe to use, just bear the following points in mind while working:
1. Place the laptop on a tabletop and not on your belly, nor even your lap. The heat generated could be harmful for your growing fetus.
2. It is safer to use a laptop running on battery. The electromagnetic radiations are on the higher side when plugged in.
3. Take frequent breaks every hour while working. A 10-minute break that involves getting up and moving around is recommended. It promotes healthy blood circulation and prevents eye strain.
4. Sitting posture has to be comfortable, so adjust your chair and computer accordingly. Also make sure:
- Your eyes are aligned at the same height as the top of the screen.
- Forearms ought to be horizontal with straight wrists.
- Your back should be well supported with the help of good chair and desk.
- Feet should be laid flat on the floor or on a foot rest.
- Considering your pregnancy, you could ask for someone who is an expert with computer monitors for further advice in positioning yourself at the workstation.
[ Read : Is It Safe To Use Microwave During Pregnancy ]
5. Arrange the devices in such a way that you avoid glare.
6. Have an eye test or wear a pair of glasses for ‘on screen’ works to keep eye problems at bay.
7. Take extra care during irregular working hours.
8. If possible, buy cooling pads and place your laptop upon it. This way it will help keep your device cool and in a good condition, thus emitting less radiations.
Despite the above measures, if you still feel uncomfortable while working on a laptop or computer, have a word with your doctor.
Around the world, many pregnant women, especially internet freaks, spend hours in front of laptops and computers. They can’t even imagine their day without these devices! These pregnant women have not only been able to sail through this phase in good health, but also have given birth to healthy babies.
Your health and comfort should be your prime focus during pregnancy. Banish your fear of radiation and use your laptops and computers willingly. After all, aren’t you excited to email those lovely baby-bump pictures to your family and friends? Not to mention sharing them on social networking sites too!
[ Read : Heating Pads During Pregnancy ]
We would love to hear your experiences and views in the comment section below.
Reference : 1
- Is It Safe To Use A Tanning Bed During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Use A Hot Tub During Pregnancy?
- 12 Useful Tips To Handle Night Shifts During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Use A Seat Belt During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Get A Flu Shot During Pregnancy?