Like how roses come with thorns, the beautiful phase of pregnancy also brings with it certain complications. While you may be ecstatic about the little life developing inside you, you may come across some hurdles in your journey that you ought to overcome.
One such hurdle is pain in the tailbone during pregnancy. Pain in the tailbone arises when the coccyx rubs against the lower back. This happens as your baby grows and exerts pressure on your bone.
Why is Tailbone Pain Problematic?
Tailbone problems can get worse if untreated and may hold you back from performing your daily activities.
- In some cases it leads to fracture, chips or bruises in your tailbone.
- Even during childbirth you may sustain injuries in your tailbone.
[ Read : Back Pain During Pregnancy ]
Effective Relief Tips For Tailbone Pain During Pregnancy:
Doctors suggest it is not possible to get complete relief from tailbone pains. The good news is it disappears gradually after delivery. Here are certain ti
- Never sit or stand in one position for long. Change positions and relax.
- Yoga exercises can be helpful. However, make sure to consult with your doctor before you proceed with any exercises.
- Use inflated tubes or coccyx pillows specially designed for this purpose. You can enjoy some relief with the pillows.
- When you are pregnant, you must consult with your doctor before taking any medicines. Your doctor may prescribe you mild painkillers to ease your discomfort.
- You can opt for a soothing bath to relieve discomforts.
- A brisk walk promotes smooth bowel movement. This can help if you are suffering from constipation that increases your tailbone pain.
- Pelvic tilt may help at times. It shifts your baby from the tailbone to a more comfortable position.
- Sitting on the exercise ball may help.
- Application of ice and heat pads can offer some relief.
- You can try swimming with green signal from your doctor.
- You can appoint a chiropractor or a physiotherapist to massage your tailbone area.
[ Read : How To Use A Pregnancy Pillow ]
Pain in tailbone during pregnancy is, no doubt, very disturbing. However, you should be careful and make sure you are not making the following mistakes that will only aggravate your condition. Take a look:
- Some medicines offer relief from tailbone pain, but not all medicines are allowed in pregnancy.
- You must avoid narcotic drugs and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs at this stage. These medicines can cause potential harm to your baby.
- Do not sit on hard surfaces. You will experience a sharp pain sitting on a hard surface.
- Avoid a jerk when you are standing up from a sitting position. Stand slowly and do not rush. You can keep down some of your discomforts this way.
- Do not stand for long hours and change positions.
- Avoid heels and wear flat-toed shoes.
- Do not bend to pick up objects.
- You can try a maternity support belt.
[ Read : Is It Safe To Wear Heels During Pregnancy ]
Sleeping With Tailbone Pain:
Do not sleep on your back, as this will only aggravate your pain. Sleeping on your left is best, because:
- Your blood flow improves when you sleep on your left. Your placenta also receives vital nutrients in this position.
- Chances of constipation get reduced and your feet and ankles won’t trouble you like before.
If you experience severe tailbone pain during pregnancy, discuss it with your doctor. In extreme cases he shall suggest removal of the coccyx.
[ Read : Swimming During Pregnancy ]
Pain in tailbone is just one among many complications that you might experience in your pregnancy. Proper diet, rest and exercises can help you overcome most of your problems.
So cheer up, moms! And share with us how did you cope with tailbone pains in your pregnancy in the comment section below.
Reference : 1
- 6 Natural Ways To Deal With A Stomach Bug During Pregnancy
- Lupus And Pregnancy – 7 Serious Risks And Complications
- 15 Common Pregnancy Side Effects You Should Be Aware Of
- 6 Signs & Symptoms Of Uterine Rupture During Pregnancy
- 3 Effective Ways To Treat Chlamydia During Pregnancy