Pregnancy is an important stage for women as it brings happiness to the family. During pregnancy, taking care of the mothers-to-be and sharing happiness can make a big difference.
It all starts with paying extra attention to the food. Make sure you are taking right kind of food which is rich in vitamins and nutrition. Tomatoes are considered to be one of the healthiest food options for pregnant women.
Ways Of Consuming:
There are various ways of taking tomatoes. It differs from person to person and their taste:
- While some love to take it in the form of salads, some find solace in cooking it and preparing their favourite cuisine.
- Due to its acidic nature, in many houses, it is processed as ketchup or soup and even juice.
- Irrespective of how you take it, tomatoes are considered to be one of the best foods. It gives a better taste to your mouth and will boost the growth of the fetus in the womb.
[ Read : Indigestion During Pregnancy ]
Nutritional Value Of Tomatoes:
One medium whole tomato contains around:
- 22 calories, 0 grams of fat.
- 5 grams of carbohydrates.
- 1 gram of dietary fiber.
- 1 gram of protein.
- 6 milligrams of sodium.
It also provides:
- 40% of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin C.
- 20% of the RDA of vitamin A.
- 02% of the RDA of iron.
- 01% of the RDA of calcium.
[ Read : Anemia In Pregnancy ]
Health Benefits Of Consuming Tomato During Pregnancy:
Tomatoes not only taste good, but also they pose number of health benefits which are highly essential for the expecting mothers. Here are some of the health benefits of tomatoes:
- Tomatoes go beyond providing just basic nutrition during pregnancy. Due to its rich content of Vitamin A and Iron, it keeps you and your baby healthy.
- Intake of tomato in the form of juice ensures improvement of hair growth and vision of the newborns.
- Similarly, the juice also helps to lower blood pressure and reduce malaise and body weakness. Thereby giving a boost to the energy level.
- Presence of Vitamin C helps in the formation of healthy bones, teeth and gums.
- Likewise Alpha-lipoic acid content helps the body to convert glucose into energy. Thus, helping you to come out of dullness and making you feel energetic.
- During pregnancy, extra iron is needed on a daily basis. Consuming tomatoes prevent anaemia during this period.
- Tomatoes further help in providing folic acid. This is highly essential for pregnant women to protect against neural tube defects in infants.
[ Read : Importance Of Iron During Pregnancy ]
Lycopene Content In Tomatoes:
According to research, raw tomatoes contain a chemical called lycopene which protects against cell damage.
- This powerful antioxidant helps in reducing development of preeclampsia.
- It also helps in successful delivery of the baby.
Risks Linked With Consuming Tomatoes During Pregnancy:
Anything in excess is bad for health. This applies to tomatoes too. Having right amount of tomatoes give a balanced diet and keeps body healthy. Here are some of the risks involved in consuming more tomatoes:
- Consuming too many tomatoes during pregnancy can lead to heartburn as the acid content is high.
- Over-eating tomatoes may also lead to improper digestion causing stomach pains and gas.
- According to some research, inclusion of excess tomatoes in pregnancy diet may cause mild discoloration of the mothers-to-be and the fetus in the womb.
[ Read : Okra During Pregnancy ]
Well, just chill out and enjoy the yummy tomatoes as it helps to make up an important part of a healthy diet. But do keep in mind to consult your healthcare professionals on regular basis and let your queries to be answered.
Have a Safe and Happy Pregnancy!
We would love to receive your feedback and suggestions in the comment section below.
- Is It Safe To Eat Banana During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Drink Soda During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Drink Coffee During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Pineapple During Pregnancy?