Expecting a baby is one of the most beautiful moments in a woman’s life. If you have recently discovered your pregnancy, this is the time to start preparing yourself to change certain activities which was once part of your life.
In some homes, pregnant women are treated like a sick person! Many prefer to sit and enjoy television all day, finding various excuses of not going outdoors. This is not recommended, unless your doctor has specifically told you to keep to bed rest. In general, pregnant women must engage the right kind of activities to be fit at this time.
Being Active Is Important During Pregnancy:
Many Moms-to-be are scared that they might harm the baby unintentionally. This fear leads to avoidance of physical activities during pregnancy.
- Women who exercise during their pregnancy had shorter labor and deliver healthy baby with strong heart beats.
- The key is in selecting moderate activities. A mild and regular exercise routine during this time do not harm your
10 Activities To Avoid During Pregnancy:
Exercises and light activities, as we illustrated above, ready your body for the ordeal of delivery. However, there are some activities to avoid when pregnant in order to ensure your baby’s safety.
To know what they are, take a look at the list of what activities to avoid in early pregnancy:
1. Say No To Heavy Weight Training:
Weights can cause serious injury to your abdomen. It is better to be safe than sorry, so avoid weight training when you’re expecting.
- If the weights slip from your hand, they may do damage to your feet or legs.
- If you experienced miscarriage in the past, you definitely refrain from weight training.
2. Avoid Certain Types Of Yoga:
Yoga is a wonderful practice, but some positions requires a lot of stretching and twisting and therefore must be avoided.
- Whether you are new to yoga or a seasoned practitioner, you must consult your doctor before doing anything in this time.
- A great alternative is prenatal yoga classes which is specifically designed for pregnant women. It teaches breathing practice which is good for muscle to get toned, get relaxed and to get better posture.
[ Read: Kegel Exercise During Pregnancy ]
3. Do Not Exercise Lying On The Stomach:
Lying on stomach can cause injury to your baby, not to mention giving you a very uncomfortable posture.
- Even a small insignificant injury can have great consequence.
- Try modifying your exercise and make yourself comfortable.
4. Avoid Sauna Bath Or Hot tubs:
Relaxing in hot bath tub can be dangerous as it can lead to birth defects.
- It may also lead to infectious ailments, if the water or the tub is not clean.
- At any time, the temperature of the water you use to bathe, should be close to your body temperature.
[ Read: Hot Water Bath During Pregnancy ]
5. Avoid Amusement Park:
It goes without saying that getting on amusement park rides is big no-no at this time!
- If you are prone to nausea, you must avoid anything that goes in a circular or a vertical motion in air.
- At all cost, avoid roller-coaster type of rides. As the rides require a forceful take off and landing, it can harm your baby.
6. Running And Jogging:
Running and jogging are okay only if you have been running several years before you got pregnant.
- Do not start a running routine as a fresh beginner. It is better to walk than run, at this delicate time of your life.
- Jogging too is not recommended, as there are chances when you might lose control and get injured.
[ Read: Running During Pregnancy ]
7. Avoid Cycling:
Your growing tummy will sit not well on a cycle, so it is better to boycott cycling during your pregnancy.
- Your sense of balance may be off once your belly gets bigger, which will make it difficult to balance the cycle.
- Also riding on crowded roads and lone pathways may not be safe at this stage.
8. No High Impact Aerobics:
Light aerobics exercise is considered healthy but high impact is certainly not recommended
- High Impact aerobics involves jumping, bouncing & hopping, which might affect your balance.
- If you had a miscarriage or any kind of uterine complications in the past, check with your doctor before attempting light aerobics.
[ Read: Is Pilates Good For Pregnancy ]
9. No Contact Sports:
Swimming, skiing, volleyball, horse riding et al can be dangerous during this time.
- Pregnancy increases the level of Hormone which relaxes pelvic joints in preparation of childbirth.
- Loose muscles and ligaments are more prone to injury and sprain from fall. To be safe, please avoid such sports.
[ Read: What To Do If You Fall During Pregnancy ]
10. No Rigorous Work:
This is a time to take things easy. If you exercise, let it be at a place you know, like home or a nearby gym.
- Make sure you work out lightly under the air condition.
- Keep your heart rate under 140 beats per minute and temperature below 102 degree.
- Listen to your body! If you feel exhausted, stop immediately and take rest.
Hope by now you have known what activities to avoid during pregnancy. It is important that you know, which is safe for you and your baby. Consult your doctor before you any activities stated above.
Share your pregnancy story with us and let us know which exercise helped you the most.
Reference : 1
- 6 Amazing Benefits Of Walking During Pregnancy
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Lifting Weights During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Swim During Pregnancy?
- Is Pranayama Safe During Pregnancy?