As an expectant mother, you will be anxious to include the best food in your everyday diet. It goes without saying that a wholesome diet consists more of nutritional content than calorie counts.
Seafood is vital for a healthy lifestyle, but choosing seafood during pregnancy can get confusing, as they may be contaminated with mercury. It is said to be dangerous during pregnancy, as it directly impacts the development of baby’s central nervous system. It becomes essential to choose the right kind of seafood in order to avoid the threat of the same. You can avoid fish like shark, tilefish, swordfish, marlin and King mackerel during pregnancy period.
On the other hand, calamari is an excellent form of seafood that can be incorporated into your daily diet. You can safely eat five ounce portions of calamari every week. Calamari has low mercury content and has great nutritional value.
Nutritional Value And Benefits Of Calamari:
Here is the breakup of nutritional value present
1. Protein – 15 gms:
Protein helps in the healthy formation of baby’s unborn cells, later on contributing to the body mass. The amount of protein present in calamari helps you achieve a decent threshold with baby’s development.
2. Iron – 0.86 gms:
Your pregnant body will produce 50 percent more blood than usual.
- Iron is very important to enrich the hemoglobin count, so that your red blood cells are adequate in number.
- The blood flow through your uterine walls will largely depend on the iron content.
- Iron also helps in the formation of baby’s red blood cells other than yours.
[ Read : Importance Of Iron During Pregnancy ]
3. Zinc – 1.48 gms:
Zinc is very important as part of your diet. Zinc helps your unborn baby to produce a good amount of enzymes and insulin.
4. Vitamin B12:
Vitamin B12 contributes to the major part of a baby’s development, such as formation of central nervous system. B12 is also required to prevent any kind of birth defects in your baby.
[ Read : Vitamin B During Pregnancy ]
5. Vitamin C:
Vitamin C is equally required and calamari has plenty of it. You will also relieve yourself of constant chronic ailments and heartburn with Vitamin C content in your body.
7. Vitamin A:
Vitamin A is absolutely necessary for the cognitive development in your baby. Your baby’s brain cells are sharper with the Vitamin A supplements in calamari.
Folic acid or folate is necessary to help avert the threat of neural tube defects in your baby. This is precisely the reason why you are prescribed folate along with iron while pregnant. Calamari replenishes the folate content, helping you deliver a healthy baby.
[ Read : Folic Acid During Pregnancy ]
Food Intake Methods For Calamari During Pregnancy:
More than nutritional value, a lot depends on the way you eat calamari. Here are some key considerations for you to derive the best out of this nutritious seafood without losing the valuable components:
- Never eat deep fried calamari as this destroys the nutritional value. Deep frying only adds up fat, which is an unhealthy saturated variant, contributing to excessive weight gain.
- Steamed or sautéed calamari is a great option to eat tasty while getting all the nutrients in.
- Homemade calamari with added fresh vegetables is a great option than that is available in restaurants.
- Incorporating sautéed calamari in green salads is also one way to eat with delight.
Always ensure that calamari is washed and cleaned properly before making it at home. The same has to be practiced for all the sea foods prepared at home or when eaten outside. Check for the hygiene, freshness and presentation while buying calamari off the shelf in the departmental stores.
[ Read : Salmon During Pregnancy ]
If you are allergic to seafood, it is very important to consult your doctor and discuss the options before starting off on a seafood diet while pregnant.
Stay healthy and stay fit by having homemade calamari.
We hope this article helped you in clearing the doubts regarding calamari and pregnancy. Share your views by commenting below.
Reference : 1
- Is It Safe To Eat Tofu During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Peanuts During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Sweet Corn During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Potato During Pregnancy?