Your body goes through a massive transformation during pregnancy. The blood supply will be 50 percent more than what you would normally have and your body gets busy preparing your womb for the growing baby. In the midst of all the aggravated activity, you are likely to experience certain physical changes and the changes in responses to external factors.
While you are pregnant, your immune system will be lower than usual, as most of the activity is centered towards your growing baby. This makes you easily prone to catch cold and cough, because of the obvious vulnerability to germs and infections.
Medicine For Cough And Cold During Pregnancy:
Cough and cold medication during pregnancy should be limited and relevant, as your baby is directly connected to what you intake. Your doctor will not recommend the usual prescription for cold and flu during pregnancy. There are some simple ways that you can adopt to make yourself comfortable and prepare your body to cope with the mi
[ Read: Flu During Pregnancy ]
Symptoms Of Cough And Cold During Pregnancy:
You will have the usual indicators that you would have if not pregnant. Below are some of the major ones that can be annoying:
- Running Nose
- Stuffy Nose
- Mild to High Fever
- Sore Throat
- Constant sneezing
Cold Medications During Pregnancy:
While you should strictly stay away from stronger medications, your doctor may prescribe mild doses that will help you feel less miserable.
- You will be given lower doses of Paracetamol to cope with the condition.
- You can also use milder versions of nasal sprays like oxymetazoline or xylometazoline.
- Never take any over the counter medicines. It is strictly advisable to rely on your doctor’s discretion.
[ Read: Nasal Congestion During Pregnancy ]
Measures To Tackle Cough And Cold:
You can resort to some of the simplest and effective measures to battle cough and cold at home. These measures do not involve medications, but any basic home remedies.
1. Eucalyptus Oil:
Eucalyptus oil gives a heavy relief from cough and cold.
- Add two to four drops of eucalyptus oil to boiling water and inhale the steam.
- You can also add the drops to a bath tub of warm water and soak in the same for about ten minutes.
- The medicinal properties of eucalyptus heal simple cold and headache naturally.
- You can also put the drops of oil in your handkerchief to keep sniffing. The more you sniff, the more you feel relieved.
2. Lemon And Honey:
This is a time tested grandma recipe to ward off that bad, annoying cold.
- Mix few drops of honey and lemon into a glass of warm water and drink.
- This is said to relieve you of both the cough and sore throat.
- Alternatively, you can also try a mixture of glycerine and honey in hot water and inhale the steam. The vapors provide instant relief from blocked nose and headache.
[ Read: Is Honey Good During Pregnancy ]
3. Healthy Balanced Meals:
A good meal with nutritious value helps you immensely even while fighting infections.
- Add fresh fruit, vegetables and whole grains to your diet.
- The antioxidants and minerals present in these will help you get better while fighting an infection like cold and cough.
Keeping yourself hydrated is very important during pregnancy.
- Drinking water, fresh juices and herbal tea will flush out the toxins.
- It will also supplement your system with extra minerals and vitamins.
5. No Caffeine:
While it goes without saying that caffeine intake is a big no, limiting the allowable range helps you stay ahead with health.
- The infections can be taken care of once your body is hydrated and nourished.
- Caffeine dehydrates your body faster, hence you may want to completely stop having the same.
- Replace the dehydrating fluids with more hydrating ones such as fresh juices, fluids, electrolytes, etc.
[ Read: How To Avoid Dehydration During Pregnancy ]