Pregnancy is an experience that enables a woman to become a participant in creating the most beautiful aspect in the universe – ‘LIFE’. The bliss of a mother is increased to many folds by feeling the wriggling of a new self within her own body.
The joys & excitement attached to pregnancy cannot be described in words. But changed role of women in today’s society and current exposure to technology also throws new challenges at expectant moms. Most of the pregnant women face dilemma when it comes to flight travel during pregnancy. Read to know whether air travel during pregnancy is recommended or not.
Is It Safe To Travel By Flight During Pregnancy?
Pregnant women may have to travel by plane due to various reasons like holidays, emergencies, family visits, business, vacations and many more.
To ensure safety of both the you and your unborn baby, it is essential to understand the pros and cons of flight travel during pregnancy.
5 Tips To Plan Your Air Travel In Pregnancy:
Here are some of the basic steps every pregnant woman must follow before planning any air travel trip:
1. Consult Your Health Care Provider:
Most pregnant women are allowed to fly by their health care professionals. But this liberty is not available for women facing any major complications in their pregnancy.
- In conditions like gestational diabetes, hypertension and ruptured placenta, one may not be allowed to air travel.
- Also women who have previously experienced premature delivery, miscarriage, still birth or fetal loss may not attain approval from their obstetrician to travel by plane.
- Women with high risk pregnancy might face aggravated discomfort or other complications during air travel. Thus are advised to avoid air travel during their pregnancy.
2. Look For Pregnancy–Friendly Airlines:
Make a list of airline carriers offering special support for pregnant women. It is recommended to travel through the airline which is pregnancy friendly. Here are some points for consideration:
- Some airlines can turn out to be more compassionate as compare to others in terms of offering special care and support to pregnant women. Choose the one that handles all the needs of their pregnant passengers with utmost care.
- If the airline is already notified regarding the pregnancy, then they may offer the facilities like wheel chair, preferred seats and in-flight food services.
- Another crucial step is to enquire about the policies of the airlines for the pregnant women. Some airlines might not allow traveling during the last months of pregnancy. In some cases they may require a release by a reputed doctor.
3. Pre-Inform The Airline About The Pregnancy:
It is essential to inform the airline about your pregnancy before the travel. Pregnant passengers can also request for the additional courtesy from the airline staff.
- Ask for the seat near the restroom. You can also get a seat at the bulkhead that offers extra personal space and legroom.
- If you are in the later stages of pregnancy, choose an appropriate seat and buckle it up under the abdomen during air travel.
- Pick up or escort facility is also available for pregnant women who cannot stand for long period of time.
- Airlines also offer special assistance in loading and unloading luggage for expecting women.
- Most flight attendants will gladly serve extra food or beverages to the expecting mothers.
- Some luxurious facilities available for high class customers could also be offered to pregnant women.
4. Pack All Essentials For A Comfortable Trip:
The comfort during the flight can be ensured by packing all the essential things in a handy manner. Here is a quick guide:
- A neck pillow, heat pack, empty water bottle and healthy snacks are some of the basic needs.
- Air travel can dehydrate you quickly so it is advisable to drink plenty of water during and after the flight.
- Some snacks like crackers are vital for pregnant women taking a flight, since they can help controlling air-borne nausea.
- All the necessary medicines should also be packed beforehand.
5. Precautions During The Flight:
To maintain the healthy blood flow and also to reduce the swelling in the body, during the flight, it is recommended to keep doing some small exercises.
- First is to drink plenty of fluid to keep the body hydrated during the flight. The low humidity inside the flight cabin could lead to dehydration for some pregnant women.
- Rotate ankles and wrists in small circles. Short walks, stretches and leg lifts could also lessen the stiffness and cramps during the flight.
- Ensure that while doing any kind of exercise there should not be any air turbulence.
- Maintain proper body balance while performing the stretches by holding overhead bins or the seatbacks.
[ Read: Leg Cramps During Pregnancy ]
5 FAQs On Flight Travel During Pregnancy:
Many pregnant women keep pondering over many questions regarding their air travel. Some concerns are myths and not actually true.
Given below are some of the FAQs that have been troubling the minds of all pregnant women who are planning to travel by plane:
1. Will I Be Allowed To Travel In The Plane?
The answer to this question is ‘Yes’. Women with healthy pregnancy are allowed to enjoy commercial air travel.
In most of the cases women are advised to avoid any kind of travel after 36 week of pregnancy. It is advisable to check the policies of the particular airline regarding the air travel during pregnancy.